Also known as code of conduct, guidelines, member vows, values etc. Please keep em' on one wiki page. Canonical URL shall be k-space.ee/rules which will redirect to right wiki page.
These rules were approved 30. October 2020. Current version contains minor corrections. For future amendments of the rules please put your ideas and thoughts into pad.k-space.ee/p/rules, they will be taken into account during next General Assembly.
Upon becoming a member I solemny swear that
- I acknowledge the management of the hackerspace is governed by K-SPACE MTÜ (non-profit organization), it's charter and Non-profit Associations Act
- I acknowledge there are different membership forms listed under membership#packages which can be largely broken down to affiliates (Regulars, Associates, Residents) who are at the hackerspace to make use of some services and members who are more involved in making the hackerspace happen.
- I acknowledge that in order to participate in the K-SPACE MTÜ management processes I need to obtain the Member Tier status, note that this is different from the 'Member package' which was renamed to 'Associate tier' in October of 2020 in order to clarify what member of an non-profit association means.
- Among the 'Member Tier' people the board is elected which represents K-SPACE MTÜ in legal matters such as getting bills paid, signing rental contracts and so forth. Currently board members include Erki Naumanis only. Bearing the responsibility also means that board has the final word in many cases.
- I acknowledge K-SPACE MTÜ is renting rooms from SA Tallinna Teaduspark Tehnopol. The rental agreement imposes numerous conditions and constraints due to safety reasons. Eg corridors must be kept accessible and free of flammable materials.
- I will set up a recurring payment (püsikorraldus) or pay up front in bulk.
- I will not go in debt.
- I acknowledge failing to pay membership fees for 2 months results in door access cancellation.
- I will mark my payments clearly and consistenly with my full name, so the payments can be automatically procesed.
Clarity not obscurity.
- I will mark my equipment, server, locker, desk with my full name, phone number and e-mail.
- I acknowledge that my unlabelled stuff will be unplugged.
- Before asking questions I will familiarize myself how to ask questions and provide enough details.
Communication is vital
- I will proactively communicate need to cancel or pause my subscription, e.g. in case of being unable to pay.
- Upon leaving I will vacate the locker and return any keys given to me.
- I acknowledge Slack is primary communications platform for K-SPACE MTÜ. This is mainly due to wanting to have a way to communicate even if all the selfhosted infra is down. I will request access to the channel from any of the onboarders. I will not complain about being left out of the loop about changes etc if I am not on the #members channel.
- I acknowledge primary method of accessing the floor is by using some of my own NFC cards (eg green Ühiskaart) or keyfobs.
- I will get my token registered in the door system of the day. To be on the safe side I will register multiple cards and/or keyfobs.
- I acknowledge Slack bot for opening the doors supplements the primary one, eg I can get in if I have forgot my card at home.
- I acknowledge that when it comes to security of doorcards it's nonexistant. I will not make copies of my card or distribute it's unique identifier sequence.
Treat as your own -- with care
- I will do my best to take care of the equipment and the space.
- I acknowledge that I must turn off the lights and leave windows in microventilation mode when I am the last one to leave.
- In case of equiment breakage I will notify firstname.lastname@example.org immediately for resolution options. Any K-SPACE MTÜ owned equiment replacements must be purchased by K-SPACE MTÜ, see below under 'Regarding the toys' why.
- Upon losing (physical metal) key I will compensate 10EUR to K-SPACE MTÜ for it
Contributions are welcome
- I acknowledge that my immaterial contributions (e.g. building something for the hackerspace or helping others) doesn't compensate my membership fees. The only discount option is the 'Student discount'. Flexing with your contributions on your CV is OK.
- Before bringing any items for donation I will consult with a board member. K-SPACE is not my free (e-)junk disposal station.
- Donations don't compensate for my membership fees. K-SPACE MTÜ still needs to pay rent and electricity bills.
- I acknowledge there are many fun activities I want to be part of.
- I acknowledge I have obligations elsewhere as well (eg school, work, family).
- I will do my best to fulfill what I have promised to other members.
- I will rather say no in first place than say yes and fail to fulfill the promise.
- I will let the relying party know as soon as possible if I am not able to handle something I promised to do.
Regarding the toys
- I acknowledge I can bring my own equipment to hackerspace for common use. I acknowledge many others already do that. Lasercutter, CNC cutter, and many power tools are not owned by K-SPACE MTÜ. I take extra care of other members' equipment and before making use of them request training from the machine owner.
- I agree not to utilise any tool or piece of equipment unless I am competent in its use (and have completed induction/training where necessary) or are under the direct supervision of a competent user.
- I agree that the space is a potentially dangerous environment and that I may be exposed to various risks as a result of work undertaken by me or others. Notwithstanding all reasonable attempts by K-Space to ensure the safety of me and others, I agree to the full extent permitted by law to assume complete responsibility for my own actions and their consequences.
- If I think some new equipment would be useful for the space to be purchased by K-SPACE MTÜ I will make a suggestion to K-SPACE MTÜ board via email@example.com.
- If I want to build something for the hackerspace I will consult with a board member for the compensation of materials.
- I acknowledge that my membership fees contribute towards refreshing equipment in common use, that is soldering irons, switches in server room etc.
- Purchases related to the hackerspace must be made by K-SPACE MTÜ.
- This is the clearest option from accounting perspective.
- It's also important that so any warranty, receipts and other documents would be correctly assigned to K-SPACE MTÜ and usable should you give up your membership at some point.
- Preferred option is to ask for proforma invoice for K-SPACE MTÜ, Akadeemia tee 21/1 and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org - the payment will be executed by a board member.
- In case of Internet shops ask for the credit card from a board member.
No borrowing or lending equipment
- I acknowledge that equipment provided by K-SPACE MTÜ or it's members is for on-prem use only
- I will not take any of the equipment with me
- Only exception to this is workshops happening outside (eg visiting Robotex, Lapikud, IT College etc)
- I will notify email@example.com about what I am going to take with me and why
- I will return equipment immediately after the event
- I acknowledge that this rule is due to numerous occasions people forgetting to return borrowed stuff
Sharing is caring
- I acknowledge that flexidesks also known as hot desks (8 desks in the middle of big room with projector) are to be cleaned by the end of the day.
- Sometimes exprompt events are scheduled in the room - I will not leave my stuff on flexidesks over night. If I come in often I can leave my screen and keyboard on one of the desks near the window.
- I acknowledge that for more persistent setup I should really switch to resident tier
- While being active in the hackerspace I will make sure that my activites are not disturbing others, my activites are not causing exess financial drain on the K-SPACE MTÜ.
- Wearing earphones is generally sign of working on something and not wanting to be interrupted.
- I will act frugal. For example running additional servers without paying or running Bitcoin miner on the expense of K-SPACE MTÜ is NOT okay.
- Causing interruptions in the server room operation during working hours is NOT okay. Designated timeslot for disruptive changes is Thursday 19:00 until Friday 6:00. I recognize that occasionally hardware fails and non-disruptive changes might turn into disruptive outside that timeslot.
- I will not smoke inside the hackerspace rooms. I will exit the building for a cigarette.
Striving for improvement*
Lock and stock
- I acknowledge one locker is available for me for no charge with supporter and member tiers.
- I acknowledge that if would switch to resident tier I would be not eligible for a free locker as I would already have whole desk for my stuff
- I acknowledge additional lockers are available for 10EUR per month.
Run the jewels
- I will not make use of a blade server without legit reason, eg running hypervisor host. For single web application obtain VM from our Proxmox cluster.
- I will shut down machine not in use and I will make sure it stays shut. It's recurring issue that servers that have been shut down are discovered powered on again, eg in BIOS make sure it says 'last state' not 'always on' or even better disconnect power.
- I acknowledge that people who take time to deal with me are not paid, they do it voluntarily off their free time for sh*ts and giggles.
- They still pay membership fees.
- I will treat them and their time with respect.
- I will not become a burden for them.
- I acknowledge rules above are not exhaustive.
- I will do my best to act in good faith and not try to work around the rules.
- I accept that there will always be certain amount chaos at the hackerspace.
Disclaimer: Lauri (K-SPACE founder) believes that:
- a) we can have a hackerspace that is not utter chaos
- b) that is financially in order
- c) offers friendly/flexible pricing for students
- d) keeps doors open for companies and startups
- e) allows reasonable buffer for experimentation.
Lauri's favourite example hackerspaces include AFRA and Raumfahrtagentur
Due to the hackerspace being quite big we will attempt hiring somebody part time in 2021 to take on the daily chores. Reccomendations welcome!